Monday, June 10, 2013

I wonder if you actually get it.

College has taught me that you have to work really, really hard to get what you want. 
College has tried to make me think that sometimes, even trying your hardest isn't enough. 
I don't think that college is always 100% right.


Enough. That word has been circling around in my head for the past year. 

Have I studied enough?
Do I have enough hours at work?
I don't have enough time with my friends.
Math homework is enough to make me go crazy.
Is there enough money in my account?
Did I attend my own singles ward enough this month not to be considered inactive?
Did I look cute enough for that attractive boy in my history class to take a second glance?
Is a B a good enough grade, or should I re-take the class?

Am I worth enough to get what I want?

:I feel like College, for me, is a state of mind:
Doman and I constantly joke that if we're on our way to a class, and someone asks us where we're going, we always say "College." 
Whenever someone that I haven't seen in a long time asks me what I've been up to, I always way "Oh you know... just College." 

Before high school ended, people told me that often times, the college years of someone's life can be the hardest, and it can especially be hard to stay in tune with the gospel. 

Hold the Phone. 
Now, at the beginning of freshman year, I would have told you that this notion was bonkers. Sure, it's hard to stay in tune with the gospel because of all of the wild parties, and the fact that you're away from your parents because you don't "have" to go to church if you don't want to.
(Not True.)
I didn't think that I would have any problem, or struggle at all continuing to go to church every Sunday, and doing what's right. I'm still living in the same town as my parents, my friends and I don't like those kind of parties, and I love going to church, because I love the gospel.

Now, it's different for everyone but let me give you a little bit of insight into what my probs have been. 

 The Mission Change, and Attending Church.
The Missionary age change is one of the best, and most insightful things that I have witnessed come from the gospel yet, and I am SO proud of all of my friends that have gone on missions. In fact, I'm so proud of all of them that I NEVER want to miss one of their farewells. It's really easy to go to all of the farewells, especially because I go to school in town, and I have access to them every Sunday.
 •Let me first of all tell you that going to a sacrament meeting with your friends, and then going to someone's house straight after to eat and talk is a great thing to do. ONCE IN A WHILE.
Now me, being the supportive friend that I am, just had to do this EVERY Sunday. Sometimes even two, or three times a Sunday! I have been to so many missionary farewells in the past twelve months that I honestly probably couldn't tell you who all left. I sure as heck couldn't tell you where 3/4 of them actually went on their missions.

I am so supportive of anyone who goes on a mission, and I encourage going to their farewells to show them your support, but I also encourage attending your own ward.
I feel that I am at a huge disadvantage in my Singles Ward, because I know almost no one. I've been in that ward for a whole year, and I should already know everyone. A huge part of why I loved going to church, and attending church activities in high school was because I loved the people that I associated with. I knew them, I loved them, and they made me feel at home. Wards are such a great, and powerful tool that the Lord gives us. I know that wards are set up because of where people live, but I think that the Lord has a hand in placing us in neighborhoods with people that can greatly influence our lives. Some of the greatest people that I have ever met have come out of BH1, and I met some of my best friends at church. Going to your own ward is important.

Decisions, Decisions.
College is a turning point in so many people's lives. There are so many decisions that you have to make, and it's hard to keep them all straight. It's really easy to get confused as to what path you are supposed to take, where you're supposed to go, what you're supposed to study, whether or not you should serve a mission, whether or not you should get married while in school, etc.

In High School, let's get real, how many things did you really have to decide? Whether or not you should take ceramics first period so you can be late, or whether you should take it last period and leave early for the day? High School spoiled us. Any big decisions that High School threw at us were easy to turn over to the Lord, and ask for guidance because they were so few and far in-between.

College is a whole other ball game, kids! Through all of the decisions and Chaos I feel as though I sometimes took the great guidance that I could have received from the Lord for granted. Decisions that would have seemed like a huge deal in High School seem like miniscule, every-day things in college. One of the biggest mistakes that I have made so far in college is not turning over every single decision that I have had to make to the Lord. I mean, of course I turned to him about the HUGE things such as whether or not I should continue going to school and taking care of my grandma, or whether I should go on a mission. But when I think about it, had I prayed about which Anatomy teacher I should take from, maybe I wouldn't be re-taking the class right now. Maybe the Lord would have guided me to a teacher that I would have understood better. 

Taking every single decision that you have to make to the Lord will give you a huge advantage in the game of college.

Keep your friends close, your Family closer.
One thing that I know I've done right during this past year is make great choices when it comes to friends. Another thing that I'm so happy about is that right now I'm more closer to my family than ever. I can see in some of my friends who went away to college that being away from their families, and the friends that they had in high school has changed them a ton. I have been SO blessed because I have most of the same friends that I had in High School. I hung out with the greatest people in High School, and I'm so grateful that I have them to help me through these difficult college years. I strongly think that one of the hugest reasons that it's easy for college kids to fall away from the gospel is because of the people that they are surrounded by. 

-Story Time-
Okay, so like the weekend before college started Maddie and I, and maybe Doman (I can't remember) went to this party with Katie Wulfenstein up on Foremaster. It was supposed to be some kind of end of summer, beginning of college party. It was so ridiculous! It was one of those parties that, in high school, everyone would gossip about all of the crazy bad things that happened at. 
Moral of the story, if Katie ever invites you to some cray party of people that you don't know, just say no. HA. No I'm totally kidding. 

Moral of the story is that college is a time where everyone is looking for friends, and everyone wants to meet new people and do new things. (Just like I wanted to do by going to that party.) I'm lucky, because I already have a stellar group of friends, but to others who aren't as lucky as me, be cautious as to who you choose as friends, and where you let those friends take you. Not only are they a great support tool, and way to de-stress and vent, but they can also help to keep you doing the things that you are supposed to be doing.

•••

Okay everyone, now that I'm done telling you all of my personal experiences, I'll tell you what I learned from them. 

College can be a really, really hard time. Its a time where everyone will be tested, probably more than they ever have before. College is also an opportunity to grow a stronger testimony, gain some great experiences, and be a stronger person.


It seems like before, in life there was always someone to answer all of those fore-mentioned "enough" questions and statements. College is a time where you get to decide for yourself  what is enough.
It's such a liberating time.
It's an amazing learning experience.
It's the time of your life where you get to figure out your limits, figure out your purpose, and figure out what you truly want out of life. 
I promise you that the Lord will be there to help you every single step of the way, the only thing you need to do is your best, and I promise he will step in, as long as you are willing to utilize his help.

You are Enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment