Monday, October 14, 2013

Item Twenty.

(Here is a picture from high school for full effect)

 
20. Memories of the time that you label “the best time of your life,” which makes you consciously feel as though everything else you do won’t compare or will just be part of an overall downward slope.

I recently read an article that one of my facebook friends posted to her wall. It had a list of 25 things that you keep in your life that are only holding you back. Naturally I was intrigued by the title so I decided to give it a look. Now, granted at least 7 of the items on the list didn't apply to me at all, but as I read down the list I saw one that did.

 Number Twenty. 

It talks about labeling memories from the past as "the best time of your life" which makes all of your future memories less than that. If you know me at all, or have read anything else on this blog you can obviously assess that I was, and still partially am obsessed with my high school years. I seriously would go back; but number twenty made me realize that I can't think of it as the best time of my life, because my life isn't over yet. I have so much more to look forward to, and if I keep looking back, I'm going to miss what's happening in the present.

This was truly something that I had never thought about before, and it really opened my eyes. Lately I've been so pessimistic about everything, because even though I'm trying my hardest, it seems like it's never enough. Now I'm not going to go all psychologist on myself (mostly because I'm in Psych1010 right now and I flipping don't understand it) and say that all of my feelings can be attributed to the fact that I miss high school or anything, but I will say that maybe if I had a different outlook on life, and I started to look forward to things that are going to happen in the future, and even things happening now that my life might be a little bit better. Even if my life isn't a little bit better, I'm sure my attitude would be. 

Now I'm in no way saying that reminiscing is a bad thing because it totally isn't, but it can become a problem if you start to compare every situation that happens in your life to the "best times" of your past.

Everything happens for a reason.
Things will turn out as they should, and chances are that when you look back, things won't be as big of a deal as you initially thought them to be.

I bet you can even find something good that comes out of them.

P.S. Here are those 25 things. Maybe you can find a few to get rid of.

No comments:

Post a Comment